Saturday 25 June 2011

Alex Toth

Today would have been Alex Toth's 83rd birthday. He was born on June 25th, 1928 in New York City and died May 22, 2006. His talent was evident very early and he began his professional career while still in his teens but never achieved a wide following in fandom despite being a favorite of many of his peers. As well as drawing comics he also worked in advertising and animation doing storyboards and designing characters such as Space Ghost. His strong drawing skills and clear and clever storytelling abilities gave him the reputation as an artist's artist but this may have rankled him somewhat as he developed a reputation for being cantankerous as he watched lesser but flashier illustrators get more recognition for their work. I myself passed over him when I was younger but as I matured, sought out his work wherever I could find it before finally getting to meet him and purchase the page you see above.

No comments:

Post a Comment